Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Married Love

As our big day draws near, I seem to be honing in on all the love that's floating around. Today I met with my favorite professor, Brainy Linguistics Prof, and ended up spending two hours in his office. This is not unusual. We usually spend time talking about golf, his daughter, poetry and linguistics--in that order. Today we talked a little about his wife.

You see, I'm equally well acquainted with her, or maybe even more so, as she was my poetry mentor in graduate school. I took about six classes with her, and she's really responsible for my interest in linguistics. Most of my school friends are intimidated by her. Is it possible to be brusque and gregarious at the same time? Well, she is.

But today we talked about them more like a couple. He told me they'd recently vacationed in South America for their 20th wedding anniversary. Everyone I know seems to find it hard to imagine them married; I find it hard not to imagine them married. He's the math of language and she's the music. It fits.

In a lot of ways, they're the couple I imagine Mortgage Partner and I could become--a house full of books and good-natured jokes to feed the soul. While I certainly can't compare our career trajectories to theirs, I see the common thread we share: mutual respect of each other and ongoing curiosity of life. These things keep you together, but more importantly, they keep you engaged.

4 comments:

cranial midget said...

So, you just wanna stay engaged and NOT get married?

:~)
CM

JeanGenie said...

Ha! Are you kidding?! After X years of dating/living together, our whirlwind engagement has been plenty long. But nice catch on the pun, anyways. (See, we word lovers have to stick together.)

EHoward said...

oohh I love MB to pieces. She reminds me of me, but not in a parallel way. Just that some people can't stand her and others think she is the cat's whiskers and can't imagine like without her. I strive to be like that! Lukewarm is for pussies!

I adore Tom S! He is ALWAYS talking about golf! I think I really started to enjoy golf after a few conversations about it with him. The pure joy of golf and its infectious way just overcame him. I saw THAT in myself.

I think MB is one of the most lovely people I know. She's like a Payday bar... salty AND sweet. The perfect combo!

Fweetieb said...

...because when we get old and saggy, there has to be something left to keep you interested.

Which is why Chee and I get along so well - we keep one another entertained.